Dr. Chinmoy Sankar Dey has done his Ph.D. from the Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata. He did his Postdoctoral Research at the California Institute of Technology, USA, and the Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, USA. In 1994 he joined the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Punjab, as an Assistant Professor and during the year 2000 he became the Professor and later as the Head of the Department of Biotechnology, NIPER, and worked upto the year 2010. Currently he is working as a Professor, in the School of Biological Sciences, at IIT-Delhi.
He has over 60 primary research publications and 6 reviews in reputed international journals. He has one US patent, 3 book chapters. He has 17 years of teaching garduate and postgraduate students. Because of his significant contributions in science Professor Dey has been awarded:
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, the highest award in science in india, in 2003 from the Prime Minster of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh
- National BioScience Award-2003 from the Department of Biotechnology, India, from Dr. R. Chidambaram, the then Scientific Advisor of of the Prime Minister of India.
- OPPI award-2005 in “Pharmaceutical Biotechnology” by Hon'ble Minister Shri Kapil Sibal.
- CDRI Award for Excellence in Drug Research-2008.
- The prestigious J.C. Bose Fellowship from the Department of Science and Technology, 2009.
He is a Visiting Scientist, at the Diabetes Research Foundation, Madras, and an Adjunct Professor of the Institute of Life Sciences, Hyderabad.
He was a Regional Associate Editor, Journal of Biopharmaceutics and Biotechnology, USA. He is a Member, Editorial Board, Open Parasitology Journal, Bentham Publisher. Prof. Dey is a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, (FNA) and a Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (FNASc.). Prof. Dey is also a Visiting Scientist, Diabetes Research Foundation, Madras and an Adjunct Faculty, Institute of Life Sciences, Hyderabad.